LGC is a life science measurement and testing solutions business building leading positions in sustainably growing markets. LGC provides a range of measurement products and services which underpin the safety, health and security of the public, including reference materials and proficiency testing, genomics solutions, services and instrumentation, and expert sample analysis and interpretation. Our customers are across a number of end markets including Pharmaceuticals, Agricultural Biotechnology, Food, Environment, Government and Academia.
An Apprenticeship with LGC is a genuine alternative to attending university. You will receive full training while you work supporting you to get ahead within a varied, busy, laboratory environment. An LGC apprentice will be given a wide range of responsibilities which includes working on mini projects, owning activities through to completion alongside an opportunity to gain exposure and work alongside the experts in their field.
LGC is looking for the next cohort of Junior Science Apprentices to join our Teddington laboratory in September. You will be joining the Forensic and Security Division (F&S) who are the largest, full-service forensic science provider in the UK.
F&S work with highly respected, professional organisations and individuals whose actions and decisions have a huge impact on people’s lives. They include the police and armed forces, government and local authorities, lawyers, healthcare organisations, insurance companies and commercial corporations.
You could be working in Toxicology, Forensic Drug Analysis, Digital Crime or Crime scene investigations where our science helps convict criminals to help build a safer society. F&S also offer a full range of DNA services our systems can generate DNA information within 75 minutes helping the police to identify criminals faster. For information please look at the website: www.lgcgroup.com.
As part of the programme, you will have the opportunity to become a Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Ambassador which involves being an outreach ambassador for LGC. This opportunity will also you enable you to promote the apprentice programme at careers events and open days to encourage other school leavers to take up careers in Science.
Working alongside LGC’s training provider The CSR Group, you will work towards a BTEC in Applied Science and a National Vocational Qualification in Laboratory Associated techniques, the academic element of this Apprenticeship takes place onsite in Teddington.
- Working with the Quality management team to provide administrative support
- Maintaining records and ensuring laboratories are fully stocked
- Building excellent relationships with colleagues across all LGC sites
- Gaining an understanding of our Standard Operating Procedures
- Assist with preparation and taking of QA sample
- Assist with taking monthly environmental samples
- Assist with IT tasks using Excel, MS word and PowerPoint
- Maintenance of case files, including filing, indexing and archiving
- Casework administration – Returns, Archiving, Invoicing
- Maintaining laboratory equipment
- Professional communication skills both written and oral
- Excellent organisational skills and great timekeeping abilities
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Competent IT skills (to include MS Word, Excel, e-mail and Internet)
- Ability to listen and follow instructions
- Strong team player who is hard working and reliable
- A professional and mature approach to work
- Curious and inquisitive by nature
- A real desire and passion for Science
- Minimum of five GCSEs (or predicted grades) or equivalent grade C/5 or 6 or above to include English, Maths and a Science subject
- AS or A Levels or a BTEC in a Science subject is an advantage but not essential
Due to the highly sensitive nature of the work, applicants should note that security clearance may be required for this role. To gain security clearance you must have three years continuous residency in the UK. Criminal convictions may prevent you from gaining security clearance.
To apply, follow this link: www.recruit-apprentice.service.gov.uk/vacancy/preview?vacancyReferenceNumber=1280146
Closing date: 1st August 2017