Forensic Apprenticeship – Toxicology
Salary: £131.50 to £180 per week
Pay Band: 5
Location: LGC Group, Teddington, TW11
Contract: 18 months
Hours: 37.5 per week may involve shiftwork
Closing date: 31 May 2017
Within the Forensic and Security Divisions, this post will see you working in the Toxicology laboratory and contributing to key areas including – Laboratory Technician, Casework Administration and Submissions functions
Forensic and Security Apprentices entering into this role will need to practice their work within Standard Operating Procedures and comply with all Group, Divisional and Departmental policies and procedures applicable to their role.
This particular role will also require the individual to meet the academic and vocational elements of the apprenticeship framework, attending where possible, all lectures and NVQ observations.
A Casework apprentice will need to demonstrate the highest levels of customer service to both internal and external clients, good communication skills are essential as is a focus on delivering work in a timely and accurate manner.
All aspects of the Apprentices work will need to be delivered to the highest quality without exception and so the ability to plan and organise daily tasks will be essential.
Key result areas:
- Laboratory Technician duties
- Submissions area duties
- Casework administration – Returns, Archiving, Invoicing
- Laboratory cleaning
- Non complex examination – as appropriate
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures at all times
- Good communication skills both written and oral.
- Good organisational skills.
- Good attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work methodically and accurately.
- Basic IT skills (to include MS Word, Excel, e-mail and Internet).
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Good time keeping abilities.
- Ability to follow instructions and understand explanation of basic procedures and techniques.
- Attention to detail and accuracy of work.
- Flexibility to changing operating conditions.
- An ability to work methodically and reliably.
- Strong team player.
- A professional and mature approach to work.
- Hard working.
- A real desire to work in science sector.
Required knowledge, experience and technical skills:
- Minimum of five GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade C or above to include English, Maths and a Science.
- Willingness to learn new skills and quickly take on board information.
Preferred knowledge, experience and technical skills:
- AS Level (or equivalent) in Science an advantage but not essential
- Basic laboratory experience at school/college
- Basic Microsoft Office skills – Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Due to the highly sensitive nature of the work, applicants should note that security clearance is required for this role. To gain security clearance you must have three years continuous residency in the UK. Criminal convictions may prevent you from gaining security clearance.
This role may in addition require random alcohol/drug screening.
To apply for this post please send your CV and covering letter to: email@example.com